Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a Wrangler 2011 four door with 71,400 miles The

Customer Question

I have a Wrangler 2011 four door with 71,400 miles
The engine seized on the interstate on Dec 26 stranding me 100's of miles from home
The dealership wants $6,000 to replace in engine in 2-3 weeks
I have filed a complaint with Chrysler and provided oil change service records
Current mileage 71,400
oil change 65,255 on 6/29/15
oil change 60,138 on 5/5/14
oil change 55,640 on 9/24/13
Two class action suits on excessive oil consumption
100's of forum posts
a TSB on Mexico produced JK 3.8's 2007-2011
The dealer won't call me back and I feel they are stalling knowing I am stranded
How do I get me hands on the TSB?
What else can I do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 11 months ago.

Service Bulletin 09-001-12 Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2012-2013

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 09-001-12
GROUP: Engine
DATE: June 27, 2012
SUBJECT: Engine Oil Consumption Guideline

JEEP MODELS INCLUDED:
2012 - 2013 (JK) Wrangler
2012 - 2013 (J3) Wrangler (CKD)
2012 (K1) Cherokee (CKD)
2012 (KK) Liberty
2012 - 2013 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2012 - 2013 (W2) Grand Cherokee (CKD)
2012 - 2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee

NOTE: This bulletin applies to all Chrysler Group LLC vehicles equipped with
gasoline engines, except SRT and Viper models or vehicles equipped with
Diesel engines.

Oil Consumption
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).
CAUTION: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule,
CAUTION: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks).
See ‘Causes for Oil Consumption’ below. Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and Commercial customers.
There are many factors that can affect a Owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Inspect each condition listed below prior to determining if the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.
If abnormal oil consumption is suspected, refer to the detailed diagnostic procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 09 - Engine> Diagnosis and Testing - Oil Consumption Test And Diagnosis.

Diagnosis of Oil Consumption:
Gasket and External Leaks
Thoroughly inspect the oil pan and engine intake manifold for leakage due to over tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets.
Oil Leaks
Inspect all oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage. Verify Oil filter is at proper torque and Oil Filter gasket is not out of place.
Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator on Dipstick
Verify that the dipstick is fully seated in the tube. Verify the dipstick tube is fully seated in the engine block. When checking the oil level, make sure the vehicle is on a level surface and the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube.
NOTE: The dipstick must be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.
CAUTION: Operating the vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage.
Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.
Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase.
The vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. To ensure an accurate reading, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.
Under or Over Oil Fill after an Oil Change
After an oil change, verify that the proper amount of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information for information on recommended oil quantity.
Correct Oil Type
Verify the vehicle has the correct oil. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Information for information on recommended oil viscosity, and quality.
Crankcase Ventilation System
Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use.
Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)
On vehicles that are normally driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Causes for Oil Consumption:
Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent intervals, to verified the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil level should be checked every time you get fuel.
Towing or Heavy Usage
Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds increasing the rate of oil consumption.
Engine Wear
Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will cause an increase in oil consumption.
Engine Temperature
If an engine is run at overheated temperatures for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

The above is the gist of the bulletin you seek. The issue we have here is the time you drive this vehicle. Based on your information, it looks like you change the oil every 5,000 miles, but it is only once a year. Knowing Jeep the way I do, I can be reasonably certain they will mention this to you. Technically, the oil is supposed to be changed every 5,000 miles, yes, but, if not driving 5,000 per year, it really ought to be done 3 to 4 times. This is suggested because short mileage trips actually contaminate the oil, and lessen its lubrication abilities (cold engine/cold start/more fuel/more apt for oil contamination past the already suspect piston rings. You have a good case here for a replacement engine. I would press the issue. If I were you, I would call the Chrysler customer support center *the number is ***** your warranty book), and ask to speak with the factory representative the next time he is going to be at the dealership. Since the vehicle is down, perhaps they can expedite a meeting. Take your service recods and present them to the rep. Speak calmly and stay calm. This is a very frustrating situation, but, the reps get beat up every day over matters like this. They really like it (and are more apt to lend better assistance) if you stay amicable. I cannot tell you what, if anything he is going to do for you, but, anything is better than nothing. If you want to gently poke him, mention that you would not be averse to paying a portion of the labor (only) to replace the engine. They really like customer participation.