Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Where is location of 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer tailgate

Customer Question

Where is location of 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer tailgate window relay? Thank you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Are you looking for the heated glass element relay?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brian---- Thank you for your quick response. No, not the heated glass element. My mechanic and I are trying to find the relay involved in the electric-powered up-and-down movement of the tailgate window. It is not located inside the tailgate with the other associated components. We have a schematic that shows it, but we cannot physically find it. The window still works fine using the dashboard-mounted toggle switch, but the key-insert switch on the outside of the tailgate is DEAD! When my mechanic took everything apart in the tailgate, he could manually ground the system to make the window go up and down, but, on it's own, the system in the tailgate will not switch polarity to make the window go up or down from the key-insert. The motor works, the switch works; we've just about eliminated everything but the relay, except we cannot find it
to examine it. Thank you for your help.

Ok. If the switch on the dash operates it, I wouldn't think the relay would be the problem. I would be leaning more toward the switch on the tailgate. He has determined that the switch on the tailgate is functional?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the switch is functional. That is why we are so perplexed. For a couple years, the rear window had been failing, so I decided to repair it. We installed a new motor and a couple accessories, and for three weeks everything worked fine, both
from the dashboard toggle switch and the tailgate key insert. The window worked more smoothly than it had in years. Then one day I was testing everything ( I hope to sell it), and neither the dashboard switch nor the tailgate key-insert worked. Both
were completely dead! When Wilbur, my mechanic, started taking things apart, the dashboard switch WAS working, but the
tailgate key switch was dead and has remained so, although, as I said, Wilbur can make it go up and down by manually
grounding the system in the tailgate. However, when we try to use the key-insert in either direction, absolutely nothing happens, no noise, no bumping window, no sound, nothing; there is no juice! Currently, the dashboard switch is still working.

Alright, so needless to say, all ground connections have been checked and no bad connections were found? If it were a relay I don't think either switch would work. I would suspect a bad switch or ground connection if directly grounding the motor operates it.