Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I am helping a friend with a 2012 Jeep patriot, the right

Customer Question

I am helping a friend with a 2012 Jeep patriot, the right front window would not go up. We removed the door panel and removed the motor. I used a test light on the harness going to the motor, the switch lit up the light going up and down. I figured it was the motor. We have one on order. I decided to test the motor directly to the battery. It works going clockwise and counter clockwise but switching the polarity. I plugged it back into the harness and it still only goes down, not up. I also rechecked with the test light and still showed the switch working up and down. I am stumped. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

hello, exactly how are you testing at the motor with the testlight

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never said I tested the motor with the test light, thats not possible. I tested the harness going to the motor with the test light. The test light lit up when I pressed the switch for the window.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I only wrote "at the motor" meaning harness etc, I still need to know how you are hooking up the testlight at the motor harness connector,I am only trying to understand how you are doing the test as I am not there, I fully understand power but how is ground hooked and so on, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood, The ground of the test light was attached to bare metal at the door hinge area. I touched the other end to each pin of the harness going to the motor.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, that is what I needed, You can not test that way , you should have an orange/brown and orange/violet wires at the motor, you unplug the harness and use the ground of the testlight in one of the terminals and the probe in the other, work switch each direction, it should then light in up or down, if it does? note what way you were working the switch when it lit up then reverse this setup and do the same test, Hope this makes sense, the systemn is setup to reverse both 12 volts AND ground

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested as you suggested, and the down works, but not the up. This is true with both the drivers master switch and the passenger switch at the door. Whats the next step?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I had to step out, Back now but have to repull diagrams, back as quick as I can

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

can you get to the passenger door switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I don't have the vehicle in front of me anymore.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

unsure how you wish me to respond, I dont just have a snap answer without tests,sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that. If you could respond with what to test and I can go from there.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

yes, but I have to give and answer at same time as a way I am compensated, I am very proficient in electrical after 37 years but even I make errors and do not like guessing, I prefer one to be tetsing along the way with me,I will send a couple things to tests etc but none are 100% as Jeep does NOT offere diagnostics for power windows other than motor tests so I have to go off diagrams and come to my own conclusion,I will do that and then that is about all I can provide

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be available this afternoon to help?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

depends, I have appt later today but will/should be back online by 5 pm est