bill
bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: 95 JGC has occasional problem

Customer Question

95 JGC has occasional problem when backing up - feels as though someone has pulled the ebrake, causing it to stop. Putting in in drive, pulling forward a bit, then reverse will allow it to continue. Faulty ebrake components? Suggested remedy?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
if you suspect the e brake you need to first remove the rear wheels and brake rotors to inspect he parking brake shoes, it was common as hell to see them fall apart 20 years ago when your GC was new also the transfer case was super common to lock up BUT that would usually give you problems TURNING.what have inspections have you performed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No inspections so far - will take a look as you suggest. From your comment about parking brake failure being common - what specifically should I look for, other than obvious broken or missing parts? Were there specific parts that were known to fail?

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
it will be very obvious as the linings will have delaminated and come off the shoes, I would be highly suspicious if the park brake shoes on your 20 year old jeep are original and very likely an aftermarket set, remember how jeep "did" their parking brake it was a dedicated system that used a set of shoes that expanded against a drum cast into the rear rotor so the stock disc brakes and the park brake are totally separate systems(95 was the first year of 4 wheel disc on a GC) so you will need to pull the rear rotors to inspect, now IF you see any park brake shoe missing it's lining or it starting to delaminate from the shoe replace ALL the components, shoes springs and actuators, after 20 years those parts have gone way past their useful life, and I would put money on the actuators being frozen, remember with automatic transmissions hardly ANYONE ever used a park bake so it is not surprising these parts will be frozen