Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My patriot shuts of at 4000 rpms

Customer Question

My patriot shuts of at 4000 rpms
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Does it start right back up after this happens?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Any check engine lights coming on? and are you revving it in neutral?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there's a check engine light, and it only shuts off during acceleration when rpm hits 4000
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, nhave you had the trouble codes checked at your auto parts store?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, it said some sensor was bad but it seemed unrelated... some kind of coolant temp sensor I think
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, well it may or may not be related. Usually when an engine like yours cuts out like that, it is a cam or crank shaft position sensor that is shorting out. It gould be setting a false coolant temp sensor code. Clear the code, then get it to act up again. If that code returns, then replace the coolant temp sensor. If it comes back after that, then you have an engine wiring harness problem or a shorted cam or crank sensor. Note that if you replace the cam or crank sensors, please use only Mopar brand sensors. I have had bad luckwith the aftermarket ones.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris