Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I have a 98 wrangler 2.5 auto when I start it and drive it

Customer Question

I have a 98 wrangler 2.5 auto when I start it and drive it will go threw all the gears but if I shift threw all the gears it stays in neutral and even if I don't change gears it still slips into neutral
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

if it drives fine in auto but not when manually shifting I'd say its most likely a problem with the gear selector switch

these can pack up as they get exposed to cabin dirt and dust

so I'd suggest the next step is to remove the trim around the selector lever and try cleaning out the switch with contact cleaner and check over the wiring to the selector switch for any damage

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.