rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, when I'm driving it and I attempt

Customer Question

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, when I'm driving it and I attempt to pass someone the front end of the vehicle has a high pitched whine and the tach moves but nothing from the motor. Does not happen all the time
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

This sounds like either transmission or differential noise. It would be best to check the fluid levels first and go from there by removing pans and inspection plates to inspect the gears etc.

Thanks, Ron