sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Have 2003 liberty, putting 2006 liberty motor in, can I take

Customer Question

have 2003 liberty, putting 2006 liberty motor in, can I take the old Tone wheel from cam shaft and reluctor ring from crank shaft off the 2003 and put them on the 2006 to make it work? and secondly the wire harness is different from the 2003 to 2006, what do I do about that?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You wouldn't use a wiring harness that came with a used engine. You'd want to remove the harness from it as well as any components with a different electrical connector. When removing the original engine the wiring wouldn't be removed from the engine compartment, just the engine.

The tone wheels can be swapped but it's labor intensive and if you bought the engine from a junkyard they may not honor a warranty if they found out you did such a deep repair/modification. The tone wheels can be swapped but to do the crank tone wheel you have to remove the bedplate from the block and completely remove the crank from the engine.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Doesnt answer my question about what to do about different connectors 2006 has a 4 plufg and 2003 has a 3 plug, how do I solve that. WITHOUT BEING CHARGED AGAIN BECAUSE IT WAS ALREADY ASKED AND NOT ANSWERED.

I did address that in my first paragraph but maybe you missed it. You can't use the wiring that came with the incorrect engine, it's for a completely different control system. You're replacing the engine itself, not the wiring harness.