Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

My wife has a 2012 Jeep Patriot with 45,000 miles on it. The

Customer Question

My wife has a 2012 Jeep Patriot with 45,000 miles on it. The other day it would not start and the battery is 100%. The dash had a (lightning bolt), check engine light and when the key was turned it also showed an illuminated red dot. After cycling the key about 10 times it started right up and then no problems for a couple of days. Today it did the same thing and did not want to start until turning the ignition on/off several times and then it started right up again and the lights disappear as soon as it is running. What could be the problem?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 11 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

That "red dot" is the security light for the Immobilizer and/or Theft Alarm system. If it is on when you are trying to start it means that there is a malfunction of the Immobilizer. It could be caused by a bad key or a fault in the Immobilizer. If you have a second key,when it is acting up, try that second key and see if it starts right away. If it does the first key is bad and will need to be replaced. If the symptoms are the same with the second key it means that there is a failure in the Immobilizer System that needs to be diagnosed and repaired. The most common fail point is the Immobilizer Module itself. on a 2012 it is called the WCM or Wireless Control Module or it can be called a SKIM module (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module). If this is the case, it is best diagnosed at the dealer as there is special programming required with this system that can only be done by the dealer, you need a PIN number for programming and the dealer has access to this PIN number and can get this solved easily by diagnosing with the WiTech Diagnostic System.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...