Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
7276279

1989 jeep wrangler - all the gauges and tach stopped working

Customer Question

Customer: 1989 jeep wrangler - all the gauges and tach stopped working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: everything else electric works, just the gauges and tach went dead
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yeah I'm going to check the fuses be back in 5
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having is very likely caused by a failed instrument cluster providing you have power and ground to the cluster. The place to start is to remove the cluster and check and see if you have power and ground at the connector. If that checks okay then that would mean the cluster has failed.