Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 1999 dakota sport pick-up, Ijust put new

Customer Question

I have a 1999 dakota sport pick-up, Ijust put new rotors,shoes calipers on and I bled the brakes by myself with a one mane tool. The problem is when I start the truck the peddle goes to bottom nothing there What the !!! do you think! Dash shows lights for no brakes
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Test the RWAL valve by taking a paper clip and pushing it into the rubber cap (on the RWAL valve) until it bottoms out. Have a helper start the engine and pump the brake pedal several times. If there is any movement from the paper clip during the brake application, the RWAL is bad and leaking internally.

If the RWAL valve does not move, then check the pressure coming out of both lines coming out of the master cylinder. If one is not putting out even pressure when compared to the other, replace the master cylinder.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If you have ABS on this truck you will need to bleed the ABS system also. It can only be done with a diagnostic scan tool.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

One more thing to check, it sounds obvious, but I've seen master technicians do it before:

Make sure you put the calipers on the correct side of the vehicle. They will almost always bolt up and look perfectly normal from one side to the other, but the way to tell if you have them swapped left to right is the location of the bleeder. If the bleeder is on the bottom, then they on the wrong side and will never bleed out properly.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.