sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Have a 2006 jeep liberty crd keep getting a p0765. goes into

Customer Question

have a 2006 jeep liberty crd keep getting a p0765. goes into limp mode cel comes on, when shifting from park to either revers or drive. when the tranny is working right it shifts great. the ssolenoid pack has been changed, tried different tcm. oil is good both plugs are clean and no corrostion,ins and sockets all look good, there debre or shavings in the pan, charging system checks out ok, dealer can't find any thing wrong either njeep has 75000 miles on it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0765 is for the underdrive solenoid circuit. This code sets when voltage on the underdrive solenoid circuit is incorrect for a given state. This is set by a failed solenoid almost 100% of the time. I'm assuming that the solenoid pack was a new Mopar replacement. I'm seeing a trend of aftermarket remanufactured solenoid packs coming around and they usually result in repeat issues.

If the solenoid pack and TCM have been replaced with known good parts then the issue is going to be wiring, possibly the trans relay or an issue in the power distribution center. Lack of voltage to the solenoid pack will cause this code. Swap the trans relay if you haven't already.

If that doesn't change anything then I would recommend hard wiring the solenoid control circuit all the way from the TCM to the trans, cutting the old wire at each end to take it out of the circuit.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
mopar replacement solenoid pack, the wire and terminals all check out, they really look good, not shorted to ground, not shorted to another wire. I work for an oem assembly plant doing electrical trouble shooting on motor coach buses for the last 29 years. this is not making any sense the jeep will drive fine for up to 600 miles some times, then it will shift rough in to gear, go into limp mode cel comes on sometime just shutting off the jeep will fix the problem, sometime disconnect the battery helps.is there anything besides electrical problem that will set this code?

Possibilities are the TCM, solenoid, trans relay and wiring. Swap the trans relay if you haven't already, otherwise the circuit needs to be hardwired.