jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

1995 grand Cherokee 5.2L V8. started shuttering. just once

Customer Question

1995 grand Cherokee 5.2L V8. started shuttering. just once and awhile, then it quit and would not start got it towed and it started just fine and has not acted up sense. last August we replaced the computer, it ran like crap, I changed the plugs is ran
much better after it ran for about a minute, I just changed the distributor cap and rotor. that when the shutter started after a couple of days running great.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, I would suspect the cps sensor (crank position sensor )

this usually happens when the cps sensor starts to go .

not all the time but many times ,,ESP if it just quits on you -like someone shut the key off ..

jazzmaster ..

you can try wiggling the wiring to the crank sensor when it's running and see if that effects it .

if it doesn't it still can be the sensor but there is not really a good way to test that when it's working .

I have seen them completely fail and not start at all again .

but most times the vehicle will stall out while driving ..

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am just checking back .

If I helped please rate me positive and we can still continue if needed .

this is the only way I receive credit for the question ..thank you ...jazzmaster ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got a code the EGR solenoid circuit open or short.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, I think you may have 2 issues .

but first check out the egr valve and solenoid ..

the solenoid is attached to the egr valve and actualoly when you go to buy that the egr valve and solenoid come together $65 at most parts stores .

although I dont think that will cause an all together stall/qiut running issue -(it could if at low speed or at a stop light .but should start right back up .

so I think you need to replace the egr valve and solenoid and then if it stalls again and wont start .look at a cps sensor going bad .

the egr will cause a studder or misfire ....jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I replaced the EGR it didn't help, still running at a low idle I messed with the IAC its working you can see it move.
so I have a low idle and it will not accelerate when you come to a stop the rpms no to zero. the idle rpms are at the lowest line 250 rpms I think, I order a CPS. is it on the battery side of the engine in the back or the drivers side?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Crank position sensor did not fix the problem, it's running smooth at idle but it will die once you put it in gear.. the IAC in new and the MAP is new, new plugs, cap and rotor. now what?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
update, drove it down the road runs fine, idle is very low and dies sometimes. RPM range from 300 down to almost 0, but if you give it gas it tacks off, weird, so what else controls the idle speed?PS: I have unplugged the battery and am going to leave it off until the morning hoping the computer will reset. I am going to pull the distributor cap in the morning to see if anything weird is going on there.