Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

96 grand Cherokee ltd. Key will not turn to on start jeep

Customer Question

96 grand Cherokee ltd. Key will not turn to on start jeep but will turn to acc. Steering wheel is not locked, I've been dealing with a parasitic draw but can't figure it out so put quick release terminal on neg. I only drive jeep once a month in summer
but wanted to get it ready for winter when I will garage the stealth. After I jumped it today and drove it around for awhile the ABS light was on, never done that before, got home shut jeep off, came back to it after 30 mins to see if battery held a charge
and if abs light was still on. Put key in and wont turn, its turned everyday til today. I tried putting shift lever either into park, stepped on brakes as hard as I could but shifter wont move. I'm thinking it is just a hair off from beig all the way in park.
And did abs light hve anything to do with it. Why is it on?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The abs light and not being fully in park are most likely all related here.The shifter cable itself may be damaged needing replaced which is keeping the transmission from engaging park properly as well as any other gear when shifted into those gears.I would have the shifter cable inspected to see if it needs replaced for sure then from there repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is shifter cable located ? I tried getting key to turn by smacking it with a rubber mallet but tat didn't work also sprayed some pb blaster and silicone inside column which probably was a bad choice, should have used electrical wiring , sensor spray but didn't have any. I also noticed my turn signals don't work either, hazard,wipers, all else does, could it all be related.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The shift cable leads from the shifter lever itself to the transmission.This cable will need to be inspected for any damage or corrosion and replaced if a problem is found with it.

It is possible this is an issue with the ignition cylinder itself or the electronic ignition switch itself causing all of these issues as well as I have seen these fail before.This would have to be tested further to be sure.

Thanks Pete