Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Jeep Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

My 2001 jeep grand cherokee lareda is running fine but the

Customer Question

my 2001 jeep grand cherokee lareda is running fine but the oil gauge is fluctuation between 0-40. i just had the oil changed and they put 6 quarts in where it read overfull on the stick so they did take some oil out.
what could be causing this to happen with the oil gauge and how many quarts does my jeep take?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

As long as there are no unusual engine noises like ticking or knocking, the most probable cause for these symptoms is a failing Oil Pressure Sensor. These sensors are actually fairly common fail items on these vehicles. It's located on the passenger's side of the engine, above the Starter (image location view here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3xcquxrjgqaani/1j.jpg?dl=0 ). Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken, damaged or oil soaked wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the sensor.

As for the correct engine oil capacity- according to the Jeep service manual, when replacing the engine oil and filter, 6 quarts is the correct amount.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.