Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Locating the temperature sensor in a 2011 cherokee
,

Customer Question

Customer: locating the temperature sensor in a 2011 cherokee
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2011 6 cylinder. I need to change the temp sensor but I can't find it on the motor. Not sure if I have to remove the air intake to get access
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** temp sensor are you looking for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coolant
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the coolant temp sensor on these, screws into the water pump, below is a diagram showing it, it is #2 in the diagram,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that's the correct picture for the 2011 3.6. There is a thermostat housing there but no wiring or sensor that I can find.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

no, that is for the 3.0, the 3.6 has the sensor in the driversdie head, below is a picture of it, it is toward the rear of the head, sorry for the confusion,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how to gain access to it. There is a lot of plastic on this car. (IE: the intake manifold) Do I need to remove that stuff to gain access? Would I get to it from the top or from the bottom of the car? I'm not finding any path to get to the sensor.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

it is easiest to access it from the drivers wheel well, through the tire opening, it is just below the brake master cylinder and booster,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no wheel access on this car. The wheel well is like some kind of fabric and there is solid frame under it. I'm going to discontinue this job. On any other car the coolant sensor would be a 15 minute job. With this car I've spent 2 hours, gotten the advice of experts and I still don't know where to begin. This may be one for the dealer. I don't want to tear the thing apart only to find that I went about it all wrong.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I could not be more help,Tim