Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,
29331485

I have a 205 Liberty. I am mechanically inclined, I replaced

Customer Question

I have a 205 Liberty. I am mechanically inclined, I replaced the heater core and upon reassembly, the speedometer & odometer do not function. They were fine prior to my heater core replacement. It throws a P0501 code, vehicle speed sensor. I have replaced the output sensor on the transmission, no cure. I have retraced all of the connections I had apart, all appear fine. I did a cluster reset. Speedo sweeps but does not work. At a loss!! Suggestions?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

This code refers to the sensor being shorted to ground so if the sensor is okay you will have to check the wiring from the sensor to the PCM .

Do a chassis diagnostic scan first and see if you have any codes in the BCM .

I think you should check the wiring harness going to the BCM you may have it clipped in between the dash and body when you had the complete dash out to replace the Evaporator/Heater core? .

This code will set if no signal is not received from the BCM .

Recheck all the Power and grounds .

Most likely a trapped wire or a bad ground ,you may have to remove the dash again to make sure , happened to me only on a Airbag wire to the drivers airbag ..

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Greg. I was afraid you were going to suggest that! That was what I was trying to avoid!!
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Sorry been there done it , its a pain in the you know what when you have to strip this down again ,not a 10 minute job.

Wish you all the best .

Kind regards Greg