Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: i Have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Customer Question

i Have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and have replaced the following: Cole, dist. cap & rotar, plugs, wires, throttle positioning sensor, Idle air control sensor. The engine starts fine and runs fine for about 3-5 minutes then starts running rough and wants to stall. Its runs rough for a while then after a few minutes starts running fine. any suggestions?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. The most common cause for this issue is going to be a bad camshaft position senor, crankshaft position sensor or simply a weak fuel pump.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Please let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyway to narrow it down between the camshaft and crankshaft sensors or which one I should try first? To give you a little more info, when it is running rough and I put the vehicle in neutral and pump the gas it will rev up with a few sputters. Or if I'm driving in this window of 3 to 8 minutes and I floor it the car will downshift to a lower gear and take the rpm up to about 3500 and run fine if I get up to a faster speed. Also, when it is running rough and I try to give it gas it will do some back firing. Thoughts?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! YES, there is. You can check the ouput of each sensor using a lab scope. However, this should be done by a qualified technician.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Or, you could simply replace one first to see if that helps. You might end up paying a tech more in diagnosing than what the cam and or crank sensors are worth.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
It is up to you which route you can take. I am just giving you some options. But yes, to answer your question, both sensors can be tested with the right equitment
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help by answering all of your questions. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you. It has been a pleasure working with you!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Of course please let me know if you have any further questions.