sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredeo 4.0 got code po753

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredeo 4.0 got code po753 transmission shift solenoid A 3rd n 4th gear. Transmission not shifting at all. Not sure what tranny I have for there is no sticker on the housing. I have already disconnected the battery terminals dropped the pan as well as removed the filter. Where do I go from here. I have already ordered what I'm hoping to be the right part as well as a match for my tranny.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I assume you have already tested the solenoid to make sure it is at fault? You have to remove the valve body to change the solenoid. Here is what jeep has published on the valve body. Let me see if I can get a picture of the valve body that shows the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not test the solenoid unfortunately I got the code. And I ordered the part and started dropping the pan. I don't know what I am suppose to test.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This is what jeep suggests:

Test the resistance of the 3-4 shift solenoid circuit. Disconnect the transmission relay, locate the terminal in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) where pin 87 from the relay plugs into. Put one lead of the ohmmeter in the PDC at this pin. Remove the C2 connector on the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and put the other lead into pin 21 (Brown/White) wire. The resistance should be between 26-40 ohms.

If out of range, test at the solenoid connector on the transmission. If out of range, replace the solenoid assembly.

They don't give much info otherwise. Normally the P0753 code means you will need a new transmission.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

valve body

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is the fault tree for that code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unfortunelty i have misplaced my ohms tester. i am in search of it and will continue to test it tomorrow. I can not afford a new transmission. part of the reason its not at shop. I try and most of the time do the work myself. Ive in the past months have used this forum and have worked with expert chris in which he was very helpful. I feel i am pretty knowledgable mechanically, but being part of the transmission makes me hella nervous. but i need my jeep so im willing to dive in as far as i can.

i will reply tomorrow with my findings and take it from there.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Souds good. Let me know how the solenoid tests out and if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I never did find the multimeter. Today I continued to try and take down the valve body. I took off the pressure governor and the bracket that holds the sensor or transducer the whatchamacallit that plugs into the 3-4 solenoid and the o/d control bracket. In which I disconnected that as well for that is the part I need to replace.. Btw the autopart store orders the wrong part so the correct one I will have tomorrow. In the meantime I have 5 out of the 6 bolts removed from the body, and I'm sure that I have to remove the park neutral switch( which I need a 1inch deep socket for) is there any thing else I should be disconnecting on the outside of the tranny?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I my recent work with this jeep I have done electrical work already, and in doing so have changed the pcm as well as a junction box under the dash. Also changed out relays in the power train under the hood. I have done a lot of work on switching out and redoing the engine. It has been rebuilt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to remove the gearshift and throttle levers out of the shaft of the valve body Manuel lever. It might sound like a stupid question but I've never had to remove the valve body nor have I messed with and cables for the throttle or shifting before. I'm learning this as I'm going. I know my way around an engine not a transmission so I do need assistance.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I wasn't online last night and I won't be on a ton today; do you want me to opt out and see if someone else will be more available?

I don't want you waiting on me. In the meantime I'll see what kind of diagrams I can post to give you a hand.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Valve body removal

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is the diagram for the entire transmission. The throttle lever is about 3 pages down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've learned in research that the valve body does not have to be dropped to changed the tcc and odd solenoid and harness. So removing the gearshift and throttle levers might not necessary.. I will try that today to see if it works.. And since I've already got everything out I'm also changing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer.
If you opt out any way I could get Chris?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible to replace the solenoid pack without removing the valve body but it isn't physically possible to replace the solenoid pack and harness together as intended. If you want to replace just the soenoid pack and not remove the valve body you can cut the zip tie holding the harness to the solenoid bracket and then unplug the connector right at the solenoids themselves.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok your talking about a different transmission I do not have a solenoid pack. My transmission is a 42re. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredeo 4.0 6 cyl. About the same year they switched transmission parts or some shit. I got the code po753 for my 3-4 shift odd solenoids. Which in my transmission is the tcc odd solenoids that is the wiring harness for the transmission case control sensor ( the electronic tranny brain) which by the way the valve body does not need to be removed to replace any of the solenoids. It is physically possible to remove the tcc odd harness And wiring without removing the valve body. Disconnect wiring clips connecting governor and transducer. Then governor pressure solenoid housing needs to be removed (4 10mm socket and 2 t25 hex bolts) after removing shield governor and transducer will pop out of housing. After that is removed, remove the tcc odd control instrument solenoids (3 t25 hex bolts again) follow the wiring harness it goes on the top part of the valve body. That housing that the sensor sits on top of can also be removed . It also has 3 t25 hex bolts it does have a tension sprung behind it so in helping someone else with this problem be careful it will spring out, also the connector needs to be popped off on the external connectng of the transmission. ( it will be kinda be behind the park neutral switch in which I disconnected as well) applying some pressure downward on the pushing down from the external top. Harness will pop out and come down. Make sure as u are disassembling to check all o- rings and their condition replace if needed. Follow instructions in reverse to put back together. Make sure bolts are tight following torque is suggested. So to Jared in saying In need of a new transmission.. Hahahaha I beg to differ sometimes you just need a determined WOMAN to get the job done!!! My lesson in transmission solenoids has been conquered and complete...Toot toot😘

I do know what trans you have and you do have a solenoid pack. The overdrive/converter clutch solenoid with the wiring harness is referred to as the solenoid pack.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I heard of it being referred to as that but into researching it was a pain in the ass even get the right parts and I'm glad it's over!!!

I'm glad you got it fixed!

Let me know if you need any more help.