Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I have a 2000 jeep Wrangler and the key stop working, is

Customer Question

I have a 2000 jeep Wrangler and the key stop working, is their any think I can do, I guess it has a chip in the key?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If I could get the last 8 digits of your VIN I will be glad to check and see if you have a chipped(SKIM) key..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a chiped key, but you still need vin number , I will go get it.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If it's a chipped key you should see a red dot or a key with a slash thru it on the dash.. Do you see these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their is
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you see that then you either have a bad key or bad SKIM module.. Since you don't have another key then the only thing you can do is call a mobile locksmith and have him cut and program a new key, and if that doesn't work you will need it scanned with a scantool to see what codes are in it and likely have to replace the module,,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he had to leave but he has more than one key and none of them work. so it is most likely the module?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct and it will need to be programmed with a scantool if you replace it.. But I would highly suggest seeing what codes are in it before replacing the SKIM module..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let him know, thank you..........I am assuming a new module is expensive, It could just be a code thing>
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

The module isn't that expensive but again the proper way to repair this issue is to read the codes with a scantool then run the diagnostics for each code to determine the issue..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad