Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Chad. I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, with 4.0L

Customer Question

Hello Chad. I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, with 4.0L Engine. I am baffled by the behavior of this vehicle. The Engine starts to miss when it gets hot. I have replaced everything but the engine trying to solve this problem... Maybe you can help.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure if I can help or not. There is a possibility that you could have a bad ground. I have seen a similar issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This behavior is repeatable only when the engine gets Hot and drive at high speed (50-70mph) then slow to a prompt stop...Then while excellerating again.... the engine will miss and go into safe mode... If I pull over stop and restart the car, the computer resets and I can drive again.... I have replaced the PCM, Spark Rail, Fuel Ignitors,etc.... Could it be a vacuum leak? Maybe a Short?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

These are the recent codes today after the same episode...p0353, p1391, p0352

Ok, you are on the right track. This sound more like a vacuum leak. Most likely a split or cracked hose (and usually in a very hard to reach place). Do you have a vacuum gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Changed the CAM sensor just to make sure... Seemed to fix it.. However I need to go drive it hard and see if I can duplicate again. I will check for vacuum leaks, although I find it hard that a small vacuum leak would cause the problems I have been experiencing... Stay tuned.

That is true that a small vacuum leak may not be the entire cause. CAM sensor was also a possiblity.