sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My Cherokee had a fire at front so i had to bring it to a

Customer Question

Hello. My Cherokee had a fire at front so i had to bring it to a body shop to repair it. They had to change the complete wire harness and a lot more things etc.. Now sometime is turns on but not even half the time i try. its starts but doesnt turn on.
The gauges doesnt work the warning lights are all on every light it has in the dash. The cooling fan turns on like crazy when it runs, the alarm is on once i connect the battery cable. Its crazy. I have had it with a few mecanics already but they dont find
anything wrong.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you're going to need a dealer rather than an independent shop if other shops have been unable to find the problem. If all warning lights are coming on that tells me there is a communication bus issue. All modules communicate over two different two wire networks If the instrument cluster isn't able to communicate with a module then that respective warning light will come on. A lack of communication will also cause a start/die issue because the wireless control module isn't able to communicate with the powertrain control module.

A bus issue can be an internal failure in a module or a short to power or ground on the circuits anywhere in the harness. It will take some in depth electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have had it with 3 diffrent mecanics and the check the harness and they cant find nothing wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 Computers Pcm they both do they same.

The problem is definitely with one or more modules or a wiring issue. If you don't have a full capability scan tool and the ability to perform electrical testing yourself I would recommend a Chrysler dealer. They're going to have the equipment, training, experience and service information necessary to diagnose it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I dont have a dealer near.

Are you willing to post your ZIP code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MEXICO

Are you willing to post your postal code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
32881

Are you close to this dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was but the dealer has been close for about 12 years.

They're still on the current Jeep dealer locator.

Do you have a scan tool and the ability to do electrical testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope

The shops that have attempted to repair the problem have seen it happening at the time of testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah i cant even use it. its been more then a year now. Its happing all the time.

Where did the replacement wire harness come from?

Were the power distribution center, integrated power module or front control module replaced?