eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

See previous info

Customer Question

see previous info
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

I looked for a previous request I see none, Can you describe your issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no power steering assist at idle speed. Run the rpms up to 1500+ and the assist works normally
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

you replaced the pump and rack? what was the original issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this vehicle does not have a rack, it is a steering gear. If your not familar with the grand cherokee, maybe I need to speak to someone else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the orignal issue was the same problem, no power steering at idle speed
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

im sorry your right the newer ones have racks, Are the ball joints binding? any noise or popping? was this a factory pump or reman?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
front end off the ground no problems turning, no noises, the pump was a reman. are you aware that the engine cooling fan is run by the power steering hydraulics, I think my problem may be there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you're not a experianced Jeep tech, I maybe need someone else!
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

yes I am crappy design... Honestly its usually the pump is the cause.. Reman pumps can be garbage I have chased the jeep issue with many jeeps and 99 percent f the time its the pump.. give me a couple minutes im gonna dig thru the jeep tech manual Brb

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Did you use atf4 like jeep recommends?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from what I've read on line is the gear has a been a problem causing this issue, in fact some were even recalled for this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this problem just started a couple of days ago, had been working fine for years, I'm not sure what fluid was in it, but I filled it with power steering fluid, chrysler approved
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

everything points to the pump even the 4.0 has this issue... I realize you have the v8

Hydraulic pressure for the power steering system is provided by a belt driven power steering pump and. The pump shaft has a pressed-on drive pulley that is belt driven by the crank shaft lever
The power steering pump is a constant flow rate and displacement, vane-type pump. The pump has internal parts that operate submerged in fluid. The flow control orifice and the pressure relief valve, which limits the pump pressure, are internal to the pump. The reservoir is attached to the pump body with spring clips. The power steering pump is used to drive the hydraulic engine cooling fan, which separates the flow to the fan gerotors and the power steering gear. The power steering pump is connected to the engine cooling fan by pressure and return hoses and the pump is connected to the steering gear via a return hose from the steering cooler. Use a factory pump and flush the system and use mopar atf 4 . There is no reason the gear would cause this unless it was binding or leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems strange that the original pump & the replacement have the same problem?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

and there is a TSB on the ps fluid..1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee 2003 - 2004 (ZB) Viper 2004 (ZH) Crossfire

DISCUSSION:

The factory fill power steering fluid for most 2004 model year Chrysler Group vehicles is ATF+4 (MS9602) and it provides superior performance at both low and high temperatures. WJ/WG and ZH vehicles use unique power steering fluids. Refer to the table to identify factory fill and the approved service power steering fluid by year and model. Note that MS9602 is Red in color and MS5931 and MS9933 are Amber/Yellow in color. All three fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

The part numbers for MS9602 are 05013457AA (quart) and 05013458AA (gallon). The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart). The part number for MB345 is 05127381AA.

MS9602 should not be mixed or used as a "topping off" fluid on systems requiring MS5931. On some past models, MS9602 should be used as the replacement fluid. On these models, if a power steering system is being serviced that results in a large fluid loss, such as a pump, hose or gear/rack replacement, the complete system should be drained and filled with MS9602.

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Google it there is a ton of people with the same issue 99 percent its the pump. and 99 percent of the time its a reman pump that's the cause.. list on a factory pump is 156

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** about it
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

here are the specs if you want to confirm

Relief Pressure +/- 50 1900 psi

Flow Rate (GPM)1100 RPM 2.4-2.8 GPM Minium @ 200 psi

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

The service information cautions that the pump is a special part # ***** a flow rate that differes from other Jeep models, although it may look the same externally.

By that, what the manual means is that this part number is ***** used on the vehicles that have hydraulic cooling fans that are operated by the power steering pump. You just want to make sure the parts store counter guys do not sell you the same part number used on other Jeep engines; they are NOT interchangeable although they may look alike.

A good counter guy will make sure of this; you have to be careful if you are dealing with some discount stores like Autozone or Advanced though; they often hire some pretty clueless counter people.

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took your advice, replaced the pump, flushed the system & used the ATF+4 fluid. Same problem!!! The factory pump lists at $350+, the reservoir, lists for $156 !
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

I gave you the specs.. only thing left is a collapsed pressure hose or return

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

or binding ball joints

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the flow control solenoid cause this problem?
If the hose was collapsed wouldn't it get worse when the rpms are up & the pressure is greater?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

every drive a car with no power steering? it gets easier as speed increases

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't have to be moving, raise the rpms, to 1200 and the power steering is working
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you checked the ball joints?

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

The amount of flow provided by the pump depends on the car's engine speed. The pump must be designed to provide adequate flow when the engine is idling. As a result, the pump moves much more fluid than necessary when the engine is running at faster speeds.

The pump contains a pressure-relief valve to make sure that the pressure does not get too high, especially at high engine speeds when so much fluid is being pumped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no binding or noise from the ball joints
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

pressure check the pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't pressure checked the pump, three pumps all the same, I don't think that's likely the pump problem. when I look into the pump reservoir at idle the fluid is not churning like other steering pumps at idle? Flow control ??
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

possible but they have no test procedure