Roger, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

Have a 2007 jeep commamder thats giving a trans over temp

Customer Question

have a 2007 jeep commamder thats giving a trans over temp signal, rpm's will clime while no real acceleration and tops out around 42. starts funny sometimes but if shut off it starts back normal... any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! First, realize with transmission concerns it's very difficult to diagnose without seeing it in person, and without seeing the data the TCM and PCM sees with a scan tool, so the most I can do is give you possible causes through experience. It is possible that the trans fluid temperature sensor is faulty, not extremely common on these but I have seen a few. Unfortunately, the most common for this issue with the commanders are internal transmission failures or torque converter failures, and because that one doesn't have a trans fluid dipstick you can't check fluid level either. What are your driving habits like? Just want to make sure you don't regularly tow something with this jeep because they are over sensitive to hard work as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont EVER pull anything. just made a trip from south carolina up to virginia and had no problems. then my wife drove it to work yesterday and the light came on. was smoking like crazy and had no acceleration like it was in limp mode or something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im going to go by an advance and have them hook up the computer and see what codes its throwing
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok if it was the transmission smoking it's definitely not a temp sensor problem it's right about overheating. I would stop driving it as much as possible until you're prepared to take it to a transmission shop, there's likely damage from overheating. How far was it driven when it started smoking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no far.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know what the codes are but I really wouldn't drive it more than that if you can help it, it's possible it will stop working altogether.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Never heard back from you on what you found. Also, please don't forget to rate, they won't compensate me unless I've been rated. Thank you!