Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 2013 5.7 liter grand cherokee intermittently continues to

Customer Question

my 2013 5.7 liter grand cherokee intermittently continues to crank over but wont start.I have to shift it into reverse to stop it or it runs the battery down. Whats wrong?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok did you know there is a recall on the fuel pump relay for your jeep?

this recall is USUALLY the cause of a no start on jeeps like yours

has it been done?

what is your skill level and what if any tests including any codes have you done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this problem didnt start until the relay was replaced. jeep dealer says he cant diagnose without a code. Problem is intermittent and hasnt happened in the shop. I have no technical skills in this area.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

has the dealer actually looked at the jeep and gone over their repair?

and is the jeep dead right now?

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

the recall is pretty simple BUT if a tech rushed and made a poor connection or left a connection loose the relay will not activate properly, we have NOT had any serious problems with the replacement relay, but had some quality control problems with the install

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shop had the jeep for 4 days and couldnt diagnose. do Igo to adifferent dealership ?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

that's up to you BUT to properly diagnose the truck it MUST be "dead" a different dealer can go over the previous dealers work for sure but if the jeep runs then it will be very difficult to diagnose