Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl rough idle / hesitates when

Customer Question

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl rough idle / hesitates when stopped no check engine lights? What could it be? Ca,shaft position sensor? Is there a way to check the sensor ? What else could it be?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** it ever shut off? Does it drive fine going down the road? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't shut off thankfully but it see,s to clear up when you are driving
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it seem to run rough or just idle too low? These vehicles are common for low idles problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to run rough
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I would start by replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the throttle body. This is something you can do for around $30 or will cost around $150 to have done at a shop. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark plugs are new what about the cams shaft sensor how can I check that what should I see on a ohm meter
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Camshaft position sensor would cause check engine light to come on and cannot be checked with ohm meter. Next thing to do would be to run some seafoam through engine incase you have carbon buildup on valves. Suck some into intake, let sit over night, then in the morning run in low gear at high rpm to burn out any carbon deposits. Let me know if that helps or if you have more questions, thanks.