sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2003 jeep shifted funny when I started to drive today and

Customer Question

My 2003 jeep shifted funny when I started to drive today and then the engine light came on...is this likely an actual transmission problem or do the TCM's actually go bad? The only previous issue is at about 50mph the rpm's flutter up and down like it cannot decide what gear to be in.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the transmission went into limp in. when the TCM sees an issue that can cause damage or it thinks it doesn't have complete control it will shut off the relay that powers the solenoid pack and give you either third gear only or third and fourth.

There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from the TCM, trans relay, wiring, solenoids and pressure switches, the input and output speed sensors, an internal trans issues. The most common cause of limp in on this trans is the solenoid pack on top the valve body.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what codes are set in the TCM.