sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited. Sometimes while

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited. Sometimes while driving I will get some warning lights concerning the transmission and the transmission will act like it wants to up shift or down shift, and sometimes a clunking sound as it does so. If I stop and shut down the vehicle and then restart it the lights will go off. It may occur right away again or it may not do it again for some time. It seems like if I'm driving out on the road at a higher speed I don't have this problem.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Have you had a shop or dealer check for any diagnostic trouble codes yet?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I might start here before I take it to a $60.00 + an hour expert.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what I recommend doing is to go to your auto parts store and ask them to check for any transmission related trouble codes. Most stores will do this for no charge. You most likely have a transmission solenoid or sensor tat is starting to fail. Once you know the code, then the appropriate repair can be performed. Also, be sure to have the transmission fluid checked for the proper level and condition. If it has been over 60,000 miles since the transmission was serviced, then have that service performed. Low fluid level can cause all sorts of transmission shifting issues.

I hope that this information helps you,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really was expecting a better assessment of the problem. everything suggested here are just common sense fixes but do not really tell me what the problem is.I'm being told that it "might be" a solenoid, it "might be" a sensor, it "might be" low on fluid.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I do not have the vehicle in front of me. I can only suggest possible causes based on what you are telling me. Ok, then let's do this: Warm the Jeep up and make sure it is parked on level ground. With the engine running and in neutral (not park), check the fluid level. Tell me where it is on the stick. Smell the fluid and let me know if it has a burnt smell. I will wait for your reply.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not satisfied with this procedure at all. I have learned nothing at all from this.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I can only help you if you will work with me. I am not going to guess what is wrong with your transmission.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

If you wish, I can opt out and allow another expert to help. Let me know and I will.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind, no confidence in this method.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could cause what you're having. It sounds like the TCM is seeing a problem, setting fault codes and putting the trans in limp in. There are literally dozens of possible causes for limp in including speed sensors, solenoids, internal trans and valve body issues, wiring, the trans controller itself, and if you have a 3.7 engine with NAG trans then there is also a module inside the shifter assembly. The most common cause of limp in on a 45RFE trans is the solenoid pack, on a NAG trans it would be the lead plate on top the valve body followed by the electronic shifter module. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM.