Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Same problem 2007 jeep grand cherokee won't start

Customer Question

Same problem 2007 jeep grand cherokee won't start transmission over temp light come on clicking sound from engine.Also the night all this happened i smelt something burning from the starter
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

Have you checked the battery voltage to verify its good at 12.6 volts and the connections are clean?

Will the engine spin 2 revolutions when turned manually by hand and tools?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the battery it is good no issues.I think the burning smell coming from the battery and the clicking sound might be a starter issue?

Thanks for checking that. Were you able to verify the engine can spin freely?

We need to check that prior to creating alot of sparks forcing it to crank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine spins freely

Thanks, ***** ***** starter are a small wire coming to it and a large wire coming to it. The large wire should have battery voltage all the time and the small wire powered only when trying to start. If you get those results and the starter does not crank the engine then the starter is bad. If you do not get those results then jump a wire across both connections at the starter with the key on to make it crank. If it will still not crank then the starter is bad as well as we need to do some diag on the starting circuit between the ignition switch and starter motor.