Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2007 Jeep Liberty. Daughters car. Oil light came on then car

Customer Question

2007 Jeep Liberty. Daughters car. Oil light came on then car died. Engine turns over but will not start unless you depress gas pedal. Knocking sound and car dies as soon as you take foot off gas. Oil full changed a month ago. Thinking it is oil pressure sending unit?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Is the knocking loud when you start it? It sounds like a bad bearing and the oil pump may have failed.. Can you check the codes in the PCM and also perform a manual oil pressure test when cranking and let me know what it has?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The knocking is loud. The check engine light does not come on and I have a simple obd2 but no codes present. I am not a mechanic so do not know how to do manual oil pressure test.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a recording and attach it so I can hear it? It's most likely a bad bearing and you will need an engine..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried several different ways to send audio file of sound. It gave a code this time. P0300 random multiple cylinder misfire detected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried texting audio but will not go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If the knocking is coming from the engine then that isn't good, and the P0300 saying all of the cylinders are misfiring. The only thing that you can do is drop the oil pan and inspect for metal..