Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My daughters 2005 jeep grand Cherokee occasionally will not

Customer Question

my daughters 2005 jeep grand Cherokee occasionally will not start after a short shutdown. sometimes it will start in the neutral position and sometimes not.
she only has one key but I suspect it has something to do with the security system on it because if I disconnect the battery it will start right up.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! This sounds like a bad module causing your no start condition. This could be the security module (skim or skreem module) or the TIPM under the hood. I would start by checking for codes in the computers and see which one is not communicating when this happens. Also, you can try using another ignition key to see if that helps as well. IF it is related to the security system, there should be codes stored in the computer pointing to the security system.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Dont forget, it is possible that the starter itself could be bad. It might start after disconnecting the battery cables simply beause of a coinsedense.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Some other possible causes are a bad ignition switch, starter relay, power distribution center, integrated power module, wiring/connections or even a bad battery.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.

Amedee

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you have any further questions or need any further assistance? If so, I will be happy to help! Please let me know!