Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have an 06 wrangler 4.0. It starts but immediately dies.

Customer Question

I have an 06 wrangler 4.0. It starts but immediately dies. After several tries it eventually starts and runs fine. No error codes. Recently i was having probs with the ignotion sticking and not wanting to turn but the prob went away about the time this started. Ignition switch maybe?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. YES, it sounds like the ignition lock cylinder may be at fault here causing the start and stalling condition and the ignition sticking at times. Here is the Removal and replacement procedure for the ignition lock cylinder.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

If equipped with automatic transmission put it in Park position.

Rotate key to the on position.

Position a small screwdriver or punch into key cylinder release tang access hole on bottom of steering column lower cover.

Push up the punch while pulling out on the key cylinder.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Now, just a heads up, it is possible that you could have a defective key. This too is also very common causing a start and stalling condition. However, if this were the case, there would be a security light on or flashing on the dash and codes in the computer related to the security system.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.

Amedee