Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

02 liberty with cool heat from vents. all vents working

Customer Question

02 liberty with cool heat from vents. all vents working normally. a/c cold. on max a/c, turned off compressor so no a/c but recycled air. no change. New thermostat. flushed core yesterday and had warner air for about an hour. sat over night- still warm heat this morning.
Outside temp was 30 this morning. Drove vehicle 40 miles. Using digital thermometer, top rad hose 165F, lower 80F. inlet heater hose 160F, outlet hose 85F. Air temp from vents-no a/c mix- is 85-90F
Power flush core or new water pump or what???
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help you! Since you have a laser thermometer this should be fairly straightforward. There are two things these particular engines are notorious for: heater cores, and radiators. The coolant they use gells up if not changed regularly. What does the temperature guage show on the dash once it's had time to reach operating temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
middle- normal for jeep- 2nd owned. does not increase or decrease. up mountains, etc.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok. When you get the chance take the laser thermometer and check as many places as possible on the core of the radiator, sometimes when they're restricted or clogged you can find a cold spot, that'll help us decide where we need to look.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was informed that a master jeep tech was going to respond, I gave you the temps in my question. please withdraw from the question and allow the master to respond.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You gave hose temperatures, not core temperatures, hose temperatures do not give you as accurate information. I am an ASE master certified technician, been doing this a long time. In any case that's fine, good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since I can't get inside the core and I can't get inside the hoses then taking the temperature on the outside of the hoses the shows a 60 to 70 degree difference in temperature probably would be sufficient.
I gave the readings can't get to the core but I can get to the hose coming in and out of the car through the firewall sorry that I upset your balance and I'm sure you have been doing it a long time
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** have a plugged heater core on this, and it is very common on these, this vehicle does not use the standard serpentine design on the heater core, it is more like a radiator, and debris collects in the bottom of the core and is not easily flushed out, we use a chemical flush on these, would you like the procedure for doing this?