Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2010 jeep wrangler. apparently my only key fob

Customer Question

I have a 2010 jeep wrangler. apparently my only key fob stopped working this morning when I went to unlock the jeep which also disarms the anti theft system. I had to use the actual key to open the door. Everytime I open the door the alarm sounds for a while. I cannot start the jeep. how can I get the anti theft system to turn off so I can start the jeep. Then I can go get another key fob made. Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dave replied 1 year ago.

Ok, according to the shop manual the following is how you disarm the alarm:

DISARMING

For vehicles built for the North American market, passive disarming of the VTA occurs by inserting a valid

Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) key into the ignition lock cylinder or by turning the ignition switch to

the ON position. Active disarming of the VTA for all markets occurs when the vehicle is unlocked by

depressing the UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter. Once the alarm has been activated, either disarming

method will also deactivate the alarm. Depressing the PANIC button (if equipped) on the RKE transmitter will

not disarm the VTA.

Of course this really is know help to you in your situation.

I am going to look through my info on the security systems to see if there is a way to disconnect one of the alarm modules without it turning the alarm on to see if you can then start it. If I am unable to find anything like that that you can do then you have to someone get your vehicle to a dealer. As I am sure you well know the keys have a chip in the key and/or the FOB that allows the key to talk to the modules. So a new key needs to be programmed with the star scan tool before it will start the Jeep.

Let me look through the shop manual quick to see if there is someway to disarm the system without it thinking someone is trying to steal it and sets off the alarm.

Expert:  Dave replied 1 year ago.

Ok, there is nothing you can disconnect to disarm the system to allow the Jeep to start. All the electronics for it goes through the key/FOB, ignition switch to the front integrated power supply. You can not disconnect its connector's as the integrated power supply handles power to just about everything. I am afraid that you will need to get it to the dealer. Alarm systems of today do not allow for removing or disconnecting any part of the system or it thinks its being stolen.

Here is a little more info for you on how it works.

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY

The remote keyless entry system allows locking and unlocking of the vehicle door(s) liftgate, panic alarm and

arming or disarming of the vehicle theft security system (if equipped), using the hand held (RF) transmitter.

The module may receive signals from up to four transmitters. Each transmitter has its own code, and the code is

programmed and stored into the module memory. If a transmitter is replaced or additional transmitters are

added, the codes for all units have to be reprogrammed into the SKREEM. If a module is replaced, the

transmitter codes must be stored in the new memory (by performing the steps for programming transmitters).

The SKREEM is capable of retaining all transmitter codes when power is removed from the module.

If you have any other thoughts or questions please juast ask.

Thanks

Dave