Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I drive a 2006 Jeep grand Cherokee SRT8. Whenever I idle at

Customer Question

I drive a 2006 Jeep grand Cherokee SRT8. Whenever I idle at a stop sign or light my Jeep stalls immediately. I put it into neutral and then start it again and its fine. After doing this again a few more times the MIL comes on and I get a P0700 and U0100. What would be my first step to troubleshooting this?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Code P0700 indicates a fault has been set in the transmission control unit/ecu and if your scan tool being used is not one that will read all computers codes one is needed to check all computers codes to see if any other codes set.This indicates a transmission component fault or electrical issue.

The U0100 code indicates loss communication with the engine computer.If there is a wiring fault to the engine computer with loose or damaged wiring or connections this will cause the stall out and both of these codes here.The first step is to check for any loose or damaged wiring needing corrected at or leading to the engine computer.

Once this is done if no issues are found it is possible the engine computer itself has an internal electrical fault needing replaced.Let me know if all wiring is found to be o.k.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took my Jeep into the dealership to have a recall prt installed and had them troubleshoot the codes. They said the wiring is okay and that I'll need a replacement PCM but they don't make the PCMs for my Jeep anymore. I'm not sure how to proceed other than to find a performance or tech shop that can reflash or reprogram it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line this weekend.

If they do not make the PCM anymore you might check with a local parts store as they can usually order one in for your model and may be able to be ordered in pre programmed read to go for your model here.The other option is a used one from a place like http://www.car-part.com.These are usually the best places to locate one of these when a new or remanufactured from a dealer cannot be obtained.