eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

My jeep liberty 2005 wont idle but will run when I apply gas

Customer Question

my jeep liberty 2005 wont idle but will run when I apply gas
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

any codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would I get codes
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the picture of a engine is on yes
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons. The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes. Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok tyvm for your help
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

im guessing it has a failed idle air control motor ...but the codes need to be pulled

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you