Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair
2947720

I have a 2000 4.0. I replaced to main and rod bearings in

Customer Question

I have a 2000 4.0. I replaced to main and rod bearings in it. Timing chain and gears were also replaced. The crank was removed and inspected then replaced. From the bottoms I pushed the #1 piston to TDC. I installed the new timing chain and gears the marks on the gears lined right up. My question is how do I know if my timing is on or 180 degrees off? Should I rotate the engine and watch the valves to verify the timing is right?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

As long as the timing marks line up, (see diagram) and the #1 piston is at TDC it is good. That way it can't be out of time, (180) as the crankshaft will turn 2 revolutions for each 1 revolution of the camshaft.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I do not have access to your email address,

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for a little bit more.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks