Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience:  Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I am flat towing a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee limited. The

Customer Question

I am flat towing a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee limited. The manual say's to tow with the key in the unlocked OFF position. Is this the off position that locks the steering wheel or the accessory position that unlocks the steering wheel and turns the electric on? Thanks, Rob
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
Turn Key ON
Step on Brake Pedal
Put Transmission in "Neutral"
Turn key Off
Key will NOT go all the way back to be able to remove Key
That should be the OFF position, where Dash & Accessories are OFF, but Transmission is in Neutral & Steering is Unlocked

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my manual step 6 says "shut engine Off and place key in unlocked OFF position" step 7 say's "shift transmission into P (park)

you cannot tow wheels down in Park.........
It has to be in Neutral, otherwise damage to the Transmission will be done, unless you remove Drive Shaft
Either way, the Key cannot be in remove position in Park, or it will Lock the Steering Column, if you have the Vehicle in Park & Key removed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Don, my 2005 grand Cherokee limited has the quadra drive II*****that I put the transfer case into neutral before I get to step 6 & 7. the manual tells me to put it into park after I get it into the unlocked OFF position. The manual is very hard to understand and I'm afraid to do the wrong thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried what you said. When I had the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in neutral, the key stopped between acc and off and the key wouldn't come out but the accessories were still on. when I put it in park the key would turn off (and come out) but the accessories were off and the front wheels would turn right and left. what position is the right one??

when I put it in park the key would turn off (and come out) but the accessories were off and the front wheels would turn right and left. what position is the right one??

.

sorry for the delay..........Internet
Thank you for the "added info"
As long as the vehicle rolls, Steering is NOT Locked & Accessories are Off, then that would be the way

.
Hello again Lurch here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about.

If I have helped, please RATE my answer

I would appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.
.
.