Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 98 Cherokee sport with a 4.0L. The problem is

Customer Question

I have a 98 Cherokee sport with a 4.0L. The problem is sometimes when I am on a standstill idling, the idle will begin to surge. If I am at a traffic light the vehicle acts like it wants to jump forward. Not sure whats the cause?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple of different things that can cause this. The Idle air control motor and the throttle position sensor.

If you can access the trouble codes in the computer it should narrow it down. Its about a 50/50 split on which is more common.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting a new TP sensor..

But can u tell me why my AC Line ( the one containing the expansion valve turned to ice on the outside ) Is that normal ????. Ac is very cold by the way .

Hi, i just came online. Sorry for the wait.

It could be that the expansion valve is sticking. You said that its blowing cold so if the pressures are ok i wouldnt be too concerned about it. If it gets worse you should replace the valve.

LJ

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. Please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.