Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The "key" security light comes on

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The "key" security light comes on at times. Sometimes the car dies after a few minutes of driving, but it will start right back up. Sometimes the gauges, and the power windows won't work. I've tried the other key. Same thing. Sometimes, the car runs fine for a few days, and some days it will act up. Thanks for any info you could give.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I have seen this before, and it was a failing ignition switch. The contacts in the switch can get worn and cause this problem. I recommend replacing the ignition switch before doing anything else. I am 99 % sure that this will fix it.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will give this information to my mechanic. I will keep you posted, and will let you know if a new ignition switch fixes it. Will I need a new key? Mine has the chip in it. thanks
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! No need to get a new key. The switch itself is separate from the skim key security module. You can use the same key.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I will look for your reply.

(And hopefully a positive rating!)

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the Jeep.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris