Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

Need to remove jeep 2004 driver head light assembly and

Customer Question

need to remove jeep 2004 driver head light assembly and maybe radiator. I think have smashed wiring harness. The low light keeps blowing fuses 10A. Putting in a 15A fuse, all lights come on.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please explain a bit better....if you fit a 10 amp fuse it blows, but a 15 amp fuse does not blow? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a 15A fuse in the left headlight, where the 10A would just blow, and all the lights came on. Having the radiator and replacement head lights put in, I think there is a pinched wiring harness shorting the lights. So, having not doing the work myself, I am looking for procedures, diagrams of removing the left headlight assembly and maybe the radiator because the wiring harness is in there out of my view and reach. The web page said initially $22 for an answer, now it's wants monthly fees. Right now I have one problem the left low beam blows fuses.

If you have a pinched wire, that is shorting out (which causes the fuse to blow), a 15 amp fuse should blow too. A hard short will blow a 25 amp fuse. This sounds more like your bulbs on that side are consuming 11 amps, which will blow a 10 amp fuse. If there was a short, there would be smoking and a burnt smell associated with the short. Since the 15 amp fuse does not blow, it would safe to assume that there is no short and the problem is higher wattage bulbs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree with your analysis. That's why I think it odd by using a 15A fuse all head lights come on. Replaced bulb. No change. Measuring the ohm at the light socket. One side .8 Ohm the other .5 Ohm. At the fuse box, the fuse side to the bulb is .8 ohm also, to frame ground. I would expect an open circuit with the light removed and checking the ohms. I think the wires are smashed together, some where, from previous maniacal scholars. Hence my question, how to remove the left headlight assembly and maybe the radiator so I can look for the smashed harness. I am not looking to make a career out of this problem. Also, there was a mouse nest on top of the engine. It appeared that it chewed a oil vent hose, fixed. It may have gotten into the head light low beam. From what I can see it did not get into the front or sides.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found a U-tube on removing the light assembly and putting it back. I will go pull it out.

Ok. Let me know if you find pinched wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the light assembly out just like on U-Tube. Found mouse/rat had eaten the wires going to the light. I replaced the shorted frayed wires. I do not feel that I got any help on this project from your service. In fact, it has been a waste of time typing and goofing around with it. Maybe something will come up in the future that this service will be a benefit. I hope there are no charges on my card.

There should not be any charges.