Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Rpm drops to zero on freeway. Engine is still going but no

Customer Question

Rpm drops to zero on freeway. Engine is still going but no power on accelerater
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

What year and model is this as well as engine size and has anything been done to try and locate or correct this fault here at all?Have you had the fault codes checked at all with a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 grand cherokee lorado. Straight 6. My husband put his code thing on it (he's a mechanic too) and no code came up
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was anything done on your vehicle that may have caused this issue here at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing we have done is change the oil and I added Lucus gas treatment
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The component that sends the engine rpm signal to the computer and ignition components is the crank position sensor located in the transmission bell housing at the back of the engine as seen below.If this sensor fails to send a signal intermittently it will cut out engine rpm and causes running and stalling issues in some cases.This sensor is common to fail and is also common that when it does act up it won't cause a code to set making it difficult to diagnose fully.If this sensor has not been replaced and with what you have described here this sounds like what is causing this fault with this sensor needing replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ayug0r4uerek0q/crank-10-08-15.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.