eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

I have a 2010 Jeep grand Cherokee with a 5.7l hemi and I am

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Jeep grand Cherokee with a 5.7l hemi and I am getting conflicting diagnosis
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok here it all goes.. I was driving along about 65mph after fueling up 30 minutes before.. All of a sudden my Engine light oil light and ECT light came on in that order.. and it died. Got it off the road and took the battery cable off let it sit.. then reconnected it would not start. It would just sit there and crank.. not start.. so had it towed home.. put a scanner on it read P0340 and replaced the camshaft sensor.. still wouldn't start.. backfire occasionally and then be I think I wanna I think I wanna sound.and puff off white smoke came out from under the hood. and so not having the time I sent it to a mechanic. he said the same thing.. occasionally gets fuel and spark but wont start. and said he put a bore scope in the cam sensor hole and saw rotation.. and said it was the TIPM module because there was a recall on it being my jeep was manufactured in Feb 2010 Which it does fall in the recall of P54..So sent it to the dealer.. Now the dealer mechanic is saying he tried to start it and that the timing chain is broken. says that he tried to get the chashaft to move and it doesn't move and quit diagnosing it.. and wants to tear into it.. Im leaning more towards electrical because I have had more electrical issues with it but having two conflicting diagnosis I don't know who to believe
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. The popping and back during could be a good indication that there is a mechanical failure. Have the dealer tech show you that the camshaft is not moving

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went there today to have him show me He just showed me through the camshaft hole what was not moving and wouldn't try to crank the engine or turn it by hand to show me it wouldn't move..
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

did he refuse to turn the motor over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah...he argued with me..so I went and did it on my own the engine still has compression...but did not see the cam sprocket move...
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

so your saying your cam does not move?