Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l 4x4. What are the

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l 4x4. What are the steps in replacing the transfer case? The jeep drives but every once in a while there will be a big clunk and it sounds like the 4x4 wants to engage.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!!!

Replacing the transfer case shouldn't take long and it not a bad job.. Basically you remove the driveshaft, skid shield, disconnect the wires, unbolt it and it's off.. I attached the directions to explain it a little better..

I hope this helps and feel free to reply if you need anymore assistance, and remember follow up questions are free of charge.

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

REMOVAL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess the shop said there is a sensor that is bad according to the code, but its in the transfer case. Can I replace that or is it just easier to get another transfer and replace it? Also they said after I install the new transfer case that I have to take it to the dealership to get something programmed. Is this true?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure as to what is wrong with it because I don't know what codes are setting.. And they may be referring to relearning the actuator if that is what's bad.. If your going to be repairing this yourself you need to start with getting the codes that are setting then performing the diagnostics for the codes to detrmine the issue..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad