Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

1996 jeep cherokee sport. I'm a rural mail carrier with

Customer Question

1996 jeep cherokee sport. I'm a rural mail carrier with numerous stopping and going. After 40 minutes, the transmission will not move jeep. If it's shut off and towed to mechanic, he gets in it and it drives normally. He has changed neutral safety switch. Found 2 burn spots in ignition switch. Replaced it and today did same thing and stopped pulling at nearly same spot on mail route.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

You have a AW4 transmission on your Cherokee and to be honest we don't see much wrong with them and are usually a very good transmission.. Has the shop checked for any codes in the TCM(Transmission Control Module)? How does the transmission fluid look, is it bright red or dark with a burnt smell? Is the transmission getting hot when it quits shifting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know about the tcm code, on Friday it did show code for ignition swirch, which worked well. However my mechanic, felt the 2 sort spots in switch, was shutting down the driving components?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Can the shop check the codes in the TCM and let me know what they find? Even if you remove the transmission relay it should still pull in default (3rd). Since it's not pulling at all then it's either overheating or the pump is failing. I'm intertested to see what codes are setting and if it's overheating or not..