Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country, put key in ignition and try to

Customer Question

1996 Jeep Cherokee Country, put key in ignition and try to start won't. after working key back and forth the check engine light and generator light come on. Wait until lights go off then the jeep will start.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

What you are describing is worn contacts in the ignition switch. I have uploaded the directions to replace it in pdf file format for easy downloading and printing

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I thought too, purchased a new ignition and cylinder.... still no help.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

hmm, that is the only thing I know of that will cause these symptoms. I will opt out and see if another expert knows what will cause this