rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I need help with. My

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I need help with. My problem is that it won't stay running. It will start for just a second then the noid light will quit blinking and it shuts off. If I spray fuel in the throttle body it will stay running as long as I spray.
I have replaced the fuel pump and I have 50 psi fuel pressure. I have replaced the computer with a used one. I have replaced the map sensor. Before it would not start I was having a problem starting it when it was hot and when it started it would spit and sputter for a few minutes then it would run good. Can you help me until we find and correct the problem with only one fee. I am 77 years old and very slow and this may take days as I can do just a little at the time and then I have to rest
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

You may have a wiring problem if the computer is definitely good. Another thing to check is the crank and cam sensor signals. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check the cam and crank sensor. I have most every thing to test these items
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My skill level is pretty good. I owned a garage for several years and I have a Solus Scan system that is second to none. Had to get out of the business due to health and age. Been out quite awhile now. Let me say this, There was no check engine light ever on and it does work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot say the computer is definitely good. I have bought 2 used ones and the problem is still here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot give you a good rating until the problem is solved
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scan tool or a lab scope? Please understand, that I am trying my best to help you, but if you don't possess the proper tooling to achieve my suggestions, that wouldn't be fair to hold it against me.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron , I am going to get a new Crankshaft Position Sensor and a distributor with the camshaft sensor. According to you that should repair it if it is not the computer. I won't hold nothing against you if problem is solved or not solved. I'll just mark it up as a great fix with an excellent rating if it's fixed and a failure if it is not. I nor you can expect any thing different.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. Please let me know if you need more help or a lab scope diagrams . Don't forget to rate me please.