eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

Own a 1998 Cherokee Sport with 206,000 miles. Last week

Customer Question

Own a 1998 Cherokee Sport with 206,000 miles. Last week began to lose power and run rough. Dealer replaced catalytic converter. Now engine is running rough, even at idle, and is surging, bucking some while running, and the engine light is own. I dont know how to check the codes. Ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons. The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes. Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way for me to check the codes, by turning the key, etc.? I could not find anything online to show how to do this for this model Jeep. The dealer just installed a new cat converter and also new spark plugs. Could something be wrong in those new parts or the way they were installed. Thanks.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

no a scan tool is required

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service