Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have 2000 Cherokee 4x4 limited that I recently purchased.

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2000 Cherokee 4x4 limited that I recently purchased. My cruise control is not functional. How does this site work?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

We are technical experts (mostly OEM and ASE Certified Master Technicians) who can tell you how to diagnose and repair your cruise control - the caveat being you supply the parts, tools and basic mechanical skills. At the end, once you're satisfied with our services, you accept our answers and rate the service.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no cruise control lights on the dash when I press the on/off switch.

Most of the times, the cause is a failed clock spring in the steering column, behind the steering wheel. When you press the ON switch, you're actually sending a signal to the main computer (PCM) to activate the cruise control (CC); then, as you press SET, the PCM recognizes the vehicle speed at that moment and keeps it constant until the CC is deactivated/turned OFF.

Is the horn working OK? Any Airbag warnings ON? Check Engine Light ON?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The horn works fine and there are no Air Bag warning lights

OK. Since the cruise control is controlled by the PCM, any failure should have resulted in one or more set data trouble codes (DTC), knowing which can give us a better idea as to where to focus our efforts. If you don't have access to a scan tool, you can drive up to any major auto parts retailer and they'll scan your Jeep's computer for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an bluetooth scan tool that I connect to my cell phone and run the Torque app. I searched for codes and it did not report any. Is this tool sufficient to get the answer to this question or should I head to the Auto Part store?

I m not familiar with the tool you mention. Does it plug in to the vehicles's data link connector? Can it read both current and pending codes?

If no codes are present. The next step would be to use an Ohmmeter to check continuity from stop lamp switch to PCM connector C3 terminal 11 (Yellow/Red wire) and then on from PCM connector C3 terminal 32 (Red/Light Green wire) to the CC SET switch in the steering wheel.

Please see attached graphic for PCM connector terminal identification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got back from the Auto Parts and there were no codes.To be clear you want me to check if there is continuity between pin 11 and pin 32 on the C3 terminal. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran the Ohmmeter across 11 and 32 and there is no connectivity.

No. We're checking for open circuits between the stop lamp switch and the PCM, from the PCM to the CC switch and from the CC switch to the PCM. To do so, I need you to first check continuity on the Yellow/Red wire from the stop lamp switch to the PCM C3 terminal 11; then, check continuity on the Red/Lt Green wire from PCM C3 terminal 32 to the CC switch terminal 1 in the steering wheel. Last, check continuity from the CC switch terminal 2 to PCM connector C1 terminal 4 (Brown/Yellow wire).

To get access to the CC switch, turn ignition switch off. Disconnect negative battery cable. Wait 2 minutes for air bag system to discharge reserve voltage. Remove 2 screws holding air bag assembly to steering column. Separate air bag assembly from steering column and disconnect air bag, horn and speed control switch connectors. Remove
screws securing speed control switch to air bag assembly. Separate speed control switch from air bag assembly. To install, reverse removal procedure.

Move the steering wheel from side to side when checking continuity to and from the CC switch to make sure there is good continuity through the clock spring.

Have to log out for a while - dinner time in Richmond, VA. Will be back later tonight to check on your progress.

I see there is no news from your end. I'll be back online tomorrow after 2 PM ET. Hope to hear from you then.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good. I hope to complete the testes this afternoon and will report findings.

Looking forward to your findings.

Best Regards.