Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2014 jeep GC Limited While driving with the hvac set on heat

Customer Question

2014 jeep GC Limited While driving with the hvac set on heat or defrost after a while it will start blowing cold air
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The symptoms you are describing sound like low engine coolant. The heater us run off of the engine coolant and when it gets low there isn't enough to keep the heater core full of coolant.

Do you need assistance checking the coolant level?

When the problem occurs do you hear and noise from under the dash? It might sounds like quiet clicks or movement under the dash, but I want to see if the HVAC control unit is adjusting the temperature air door when it shouldn't.

This HVAC unit will also store diagnostic trouble codes in the event of a problem. Do you have any warning lights on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coolant is to the top of the rad and halfway between add and full in the overflow tank
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Well, that's normal. Do you have anyone that scan scan the HVAC control module while it is acting up to see what the computer is telling the air mix doors to do? It's possible the system needs to be reprogrammed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the hvac scanned in a couple of days
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'll be interested to know what readings it gives.